A lymphedema clinic is a specialized healthcare facility that provides comprehensive care for patients with lymphedema. Lymphedema is a medical condition characterized by swelling in the arms, legs, or other parts of the body due to a compromised lymphatic system. The gold standard treatment for Lymphedema is Complete Decongestive Therapy, which should be performed by a Certified Lymphedema Therapist. Our clinic in Hoover, AL, employs a Certified Lymphedema Therapist to help treat your lymphedema!
Physical therapy plays a vital role in managing lymphedema by improving lymphatic flow, reducing swelling, and preventing complications. The goal of a lymphedema physical therapy clinic is to provide individualized treatment plans that include manual lymphatic drainage, compression therapy, exercise programs, and education on self-care and skin care techniques.
Some of the services that a lymphedema physical therapy clinic may offer include:
- Evaluation and assessment of lymphedema
- Customized treatment plans for managing lymphedema
- Manual lymphatic drainage
- Compression therapy (e.g., compression garments, bandaging)
- Exercise programs
- Skin care management and prevention of infections
- Education on self-care techniques (e.g., skin care, exercise, lymphatic drainage techniques)
- Monitoring and management of lymphedema-related complications (e.g., cellulitis, lymphangitis)
- Evaluation for pneumatic compression devices for home use
If you think you may have lymphedema or have been diagnosed with the condition, it is essential to seek specialized care from a Certified Lymphedema Therapist at a lymphedema clinic to receive appropriate treatment and improve your quality of life.